Science Logo

Science Logo
Image from: http://careeredge.bc.edu/2014/01/21/science-math-tech-1-21-14/

Wednesday 11 June 2014

Raisa's Reflection on Project Code Fred

I have never used, or even thought of using an educational game in my classroom. Therefore, I am glad that we came across this assignment because now I feel like it is something I can use as a reinforcer. This post is a reflection on my experience creating a rubric for the online educational game, how I think this game can be used in its content area, what technology is needed to create our presentation, and how we used Weebly to complete our project. 

After choosing Domingo's game, Code Fred, we set out to create our rubric for evaluating the game. We did not have experience in evaluating online educational games, therefore, we searched online to get an idea of what to look for. Once we found a rubric we liked, we edited it to fit the needs of Code Fred. 

Code Fred would be most useful in the Life Science content area where students learn about the body system, and its functions. I think that it would be good reinforcer for the students, as opposed an introduction because it does not include explanations of the different body functions. Or, they could play it before the lesson, evaluate it, then play and evaluate it again after the lesson. Then, I would ask them if they found it to be more helpful in the beginning or the end. 

According to Jackson et al (2013), and Trybus (2014) game-based learning increases student motivation and engagement. Therefore, I think that next year I will try my best to incorporate game-based learning in my lessons. Especially since I teach sixth graders because at their age they are all interested in games. They are always playing games on their phones during lunch, and before school starts. 

Lastly, I would like to reflect on how we created our presentation. As I said earlier, we used Weebly to create a website that showcases Code Fred, http://savingfred.weebly.com. We included an "About Us" tab, which included an avatar from voki.com of each of us that says a short introduction. Additional tabs are "Topics", the "Game", the "Rubric", our "Reflection", and our "Resources". It was definitely a learning experience for our group because none of us have ever created a website before. I think it was a great, but definitely challenging experience, especially because it is something I would never have thought of doing.

In closing, I am glad that we were tasked with this assignment because I learned three new technology tools, which are self-made avatars, websites, and online educational games. I am excited to continue to use these tools, and also to learn about new technology tools I can use in the classroom.


References:

Jackson, G. T., McNamara, D. S., (2013). Motivation and Performance in Game-Based Intelligent      Tutoring System, 105(4).

Trybus, J., (2014). New Media Institute. Game-Based Learning: What it is, Why it Works, and Where    it's Going. Retrieved from www.newmedia.org

1 comment:

  1. Hi:
    Your well-written essay could use a much better title.
    -j-

    ReplyDelete